Return to Collection Page
About this objectThree photographs mounted on a pale pink foolscap card with handwritten annotations in blue ink below. Described from top to bottom, left to right. Top: Picture of two buildings in a coastal setting with palms in the foreground and a wooded promintory in the background. Described as Viper Island - Port Blair. Viper Island lies 4km west of Port Blair in the Andaman Islands and was used as jail by the British during the 19th century to house political prisoners after the Indian Rebellion of 1857 (the main settlement was around Port Blair, with a second penal establishment at Ross Island). Henry Stuart Man (b. 1815 d. 1898) was superintendent of Port Blair in 1858 (as first superintendent) and again from 1868-1871. Middle: Photograph or a stone building on a ridge with various people in the foreground. The description reads "Ross Island Barracks, Port Blair". The island is located 3km east of Port Blair and the northern part was established as a penal settlement between 1864 and 1867. Ross Island was the location of the main British administration at Andaman and the main buildings (including the barracks pictured) were built by prisoners. Bottom: Photograph of the settlement at Ross Island, Port Blair, with wooden bungalows on the slopes and a stone barracks on the ridge, probably the same as the image above. All the structures were built by penal labour and all these photos must date to between 1868 and 1871.
Place MadeBrisbane, Queensland
MakerGwenda Elizabeth Donaldson
Copyright LicenceAttribution (cc)